Multiple Sclerosis occurs when the protective coverings of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cords are damaged. This damage causes parts of the nervous system to malfunction and make it difficult for communication between the two to occur. Nerve impulses are vulnerable to damage, and the body becomes susceptible to neurological malfunction. The symptoms for MS, however, can range from physical, mental to even sometimes psychiatric problems.
The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation has predicted that there are more than 400,000 cases of MS in the United States alone. It may even affect about 2.5 million people around the globe. Numbers are rising quickly, seeing that about 200 new cases are diagnosed each week in the United States.
Minimizing the Symptoms
Although the effectiveness of CBD treating MS is yet to be documented, several studies have backed its crucial role in diminishing common symptoms of MS like inflammation, depression and anxiety. Its reported ability to weaken these symptoms has gained momentum, and has been widely applauded for its natural, yet effective, properties.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- MS is an immune-mediated condition. When immune cells in the body begin damaging health nerve tissue, it may cause inflammation of protecting cells. Deeply rooted joint pain may result from this inflammation.
- Research by Prakash Nagarkatti published in The NCBI has revealed a link between CBD and anti-inflammation. Cannabinoids exemplified a down-regulatory effect on cytokine and chemokine production, and in some samples, up-regulatory effects on T-Regulatory cells. These mechanisms suppress inflammatory response in the body.
- Muscle Spasm Relief
- Muscle spasms are very common in MS patients. The axons in the central nervous system are disturbed by the immune cells, causing muscle spasms and possibly tremors.
- Prakash Nagarkatti published in The NCBI found that “there is both anecdotal and clinical evidence to show the effectiveness of cannabinoids in the treatment of MS.” In 1994, 112 MS patients were surveyed (57 men, and 55 women) from the USA and UK. All of the patients were self-medicating with CBD. More than 90% of the patients reported an improvement in their muscle spasms, pain and tremors.
- Double Vision
- Double Vision, commonly referred to as Diplopia, is the simultaneous perception of a single object caused by MS. Since nerve impulses are hit constantly, there may be disruption in the neuromuscular junction. This then leads to double vision, or a complete blackout.